Monday, 2 January 2017

Reggae Music Again : Chronicles of a naïve but adventurous teenager



I love reggae music, Jamaican-reggae to be specific. My love for this genre of music dates back to my high school days when all we listened and danced to was Jamaican music; so you could argue that my background influenced my musical choice. However, upon self reflection, I have come to realize that my endearing love for the genre all along is the sincere happiness and joy portrayed by these reggae musicians. Have you watched a Jamaican music video? It'll start with a flashing image of the artist/musician then the reggae beat (read riddim) will join in - that's when the body shaking and swaying starts too; the song will then go on and you'll see the happiest people ever, not worried, scared or sad but just living the moment.

It's with such endearing love that a friend of mine introduced me to this reggae club in downtown Denver. This small 3-sectioned club is situated on Lincoln and 9th and upon entrance, you are faced with the bar (strategic for you to buy drinks before getting to the dance floor) then as you walk down to the second section, you are faced with the cashier to whom you have to pay your $10 cover fee; it's after that payment that you enter a different world, a world that makes you forget that you're in Denver.

Check in time - 12am, I get this déjà vu of a typical Ugandan club as the first song I hear is the classic "hold yah" by Gyptian; after getting our beers, we hit the dance floor and go on dancing non-stop until the club closes. One unfortunate/fortunate thing is - the difference between Colorado law and Ugandan law; clubs in Uganda played music until 6am in the morning, no regulation, as long as it was sound proofed; clubs in Colorado play until 2am - bur mar! Anyways, I am now known to frequent this place on several weekends; (that's if I do not have work or school assignments) and I have come to learn an enormous life lesson from there - to always keep trying. Besides my love for reggae, I go reggae-clubbing to dance with gals (read dub) and for one to be successful at that, just like any other social feature, one's got to have a unique method-of-approaching the gals (MOA).

My MOA is to have no MOA! I just stop thinking and go! With my beer-breath, the first words that always come out of my mouth are “Hey, how are you doing?” That has given me a 30% success rate, I dance with 3 out of 10 gals I talk to in club. I do not plan on changing that because it has gotten me used to trying (a very salient life lesson). If I fail with one gal, I move on to the next one. So through my love for reggae, MOA and dancing with gals, I hope to be the kind of person that does not give up in the coming year and just keep trying. As I conclude this piece, I turn to up my Spotify volume so that I can enjoy Busy Signal's "reggae music again."

Guest blogger :Moses Kasozi
                        Twitter: @mklubega
                             ©2013